Have you ever wondered "how do I host my videos on YouTube?" There are a couple of options depending on your audience.
If the videos you want to embed are only relevant to your own departmental website then:
- Create a Google account for your dept/group using an @lists.stanford.edu email address
- Sign in to YouTube using this new Google account.
- Click the "Upload" button at the top of the screen.
- If this is your first time logging in, you will be asked to "Create a channel" (Be sure to include Stanford in the name of your channel)
- Once the channel is created you can "Select files to upload"
Videos for a Broader Stanford Audience
If the videos are of broader appeal to the general public (e.g., guest speakers, faculty presentations, course recordings), we strongly encourage your to consider posting these on the main Stanford YouTube channel instead. The main Stanford YouTube channel will give much broader exposure to your content and also does not have limitations on the length of videos (individual channels can only upload videos up to 10 minutes in length).
Information about hosting videos on the main YouTube Channel can be found at http://ucomm.stanford.edu/contribute/
Best Practices for Encoding and Naming Videos
Either way, you might also want to consult University Communications' Encoding Specifications data sheet for optimal resolution and encoding for YouTube. There is other information on the University Communications website about speaker releases and key wording your videos which may also be useful.