Have you ever looked at a page layout and thought, "Hm, that sure is one long list of fields. It would be nice to be able to place some of that information in a sidebar (or in the footer, etc.)"
In this example, we want to move some of the "Contact Information" fields of an Event node into the first sidebar.
You can do exactly that with the Display Suite Extras module, which is available on Stanford Sites. Here's how.
How the Page Looks to Begin With
How to Change It
- Enable the Display Suite and Display Suite Extras modules
- Enable "Region to Block" at admin/structure/ds/list/extras (in the "Other" tab)
- Enable a custom display setting for the Full Content view mode at admin/structure/types/manage/(content_type)/display
- Edit the display settings for the Full Content view mode at admin/structure/types/manage/(content_type)/display/full
- Choose the "One Column" layout and save
- Click the "Block Regions" tab and add a new region. Name it a semantic way so that you can find it in the Context or Blocks overview page
- Add your fields to that DS region
- Create a Context for that content type that places that block in the appropriate region
(Note: You also can place the block using Drupal's core block system. Context is not required.)
The Final Product
The Tricky Parts
- You have to choose a view mode other than Default
- You have to choose a layout for the view mode in order to get the "block regions" tab to appear